Blog Trip  
         
       
       
     
       
Blogroll Me
  Travelogued   Atom Enabled
         
  Armchair Pundit
cellojenn
Endless Spotlight
Grave Levity
Karma Payment Plan
lacey joe loves you
Pizza Thoughts scratchymonkey
Skull Bolt
Vitriolic Spree
 
  • Early Bird
  • It's not TV
  • Differently Breaded
  • 32 Uncounted
  • Exit Poll
  • Poor Richard's Traffic Jam
  • Cultural Epicenter
  • Dream Wheels
  • 1% Ejaculate
  • cake and loathing
  •      

    Archives:

    November 2002
    December 2002
    January 2003
    February 2003
    March 2003
    April 2003
    June 2003
    July 2003
    August 2003
    September 2003
    October 2003
    November 2003
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005



     
    Michel D   Asphalt Leisure

    8.11.04 -  02:32

     
    Perhaps you weren't aware of this, but driving to work at 5:00 in the morning with no one on the road and no sun and just the velvet blue of the the predawn sky is very peaceful. I think I actually enjoy it much more than sunrise. Sunrise is only beautiful from the right angles, but that deep Prussian Blue that slowly melts into a rich violet and subtle rose can be enjoyed regardless of your orientation to the horizon.

    Just me and the road and the sky, and the only landmarks visible are in the glow of my headlights, with the occasional flashing orange intersection marker. I don't know where this stems from, but I've always done it. Every time I've ever driven a long distance I've planned it so that the biggest brunt of travel is at night. Time passes faster when there are no landmarks. You're not constantly aware of where you are and when you are... you have time to think and muse. Driving isn't a chore at night. It's enjoyable.

    And driving during the day is hot and long. Your light source changes throughout the day and though you know where it will be, you can't judge where the road will lie in relation. It blinds or it washes the landscape. I'd rather that I illuminate the landscape to suit my needs and my direction.

    It's not better, it's just less stressful. Here in America daytime is marked and fretted with worry, aggravation, and grievances. It's a time of toil and pressure.

    The evening is lush composure. It makes driving an enjoyable diversion rather than another chore to be completed.

    Or that's what I tell myself so that I can endure 120 miles of travel every day.
     

     - 










    Copyright © 2002-2004 the.monkey.manifesto, Michel Devon.
    Unless noted otherwise.