Blog Trip  
         
       
       
     
       
Blogroll Me
  Travelogued   Atom Enabled
         
  Armchair Pundit
cellojenn
Endless Spotlight
Grave Levity
Karma Payment Plan
lacey joe loves you
Pizza Thoughts scratchymonkey
Skull Bolt
Vitriolic Spree
 
  • Am I really that fat... and Hispanic?
  • Open door policy
  • The old one two
  • Science Fun Series: Episode xxvii
  • A.I.(pod)
  • and then nothing really happened
  • And all was Right in Cyberdom
  • gateway (to nowhere) drugs
  • A glorious pristine cube
  • It's Audit Time
  •      

    Archives:

    November 2002
    December 2002
    January 2003
    February 2003
    March 2003
    April 2003
    June 2003
    July 2003
    August 2003
    September 2003
    October 2003
    November 2003
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005



     
    Michel D   Damn your Spanish!

    24.1.04 -  17:29

     
    So at McDonald's today I ordered the two for $2 Quarter Pounder Meal, however the girl didn't hear me or something (perhaps she was ignoring me) and she only rung up the sandwiches -- not the whole meal. When I asked her about this as she handed me an incomplete order the cashier next to her tried to alleviate the "problem". Now there wasn't really a problem, but it was escalating into one. Now the Manager is there and they're all talking to each other about me and my order. The problem was, however, that they were all doing it in Spanish. All three of them are bi-lingual. Individually their English is great. They grew up speaking both languages. There's nothing in their English accents that betrays that they are fluent in Spanish as well as English. At least nothing stereotypically betraying, like "J"s instead of "H"s or a constant mentioning of Jalopeño peppers and molé.

    The problem was that they were speaking Spanish about me, and I was only two feet away, looking at them. I should have been part of that conversation seeing as how it directly affected me. I wanted to slap them all and say, "I'm right here!"

    Why in the hell is it necessary to change languages. Are the operational workings of McDonald's such a secret that customers aren't supposed to know what's going on? It's not as if McDonald's has a secret tunnel system underneath it that I'm not supposed to know about. Frankly, it was rather rude.

    I don't have a problem with people speaking other languages. I have a problem with other languages being used as code. They are discussing my order, I would like to be part of the conversation seeing as how I'm the one that will be paying for and eating the food.

    It made me commiserate with dogs that hear their owners talk about taking them to the et-vay to get eutered-nay. What in the hell is an et-vay and what is eutered-nay. I'm pretty sure you guys are talking about me, and I'd like to be part of this conversation. I get the feeling that this somehow directly involves me.
     

     - 










    Copyright © 2002-2004 the.monkey.manifesto, Michel Devon.
    Unless noted otherwise.