Blog Trip  
         
       
       
     
       
Blogroll Me
  Travelogued   Atom Enabled
         
  Armchair Pundit
cellojenn
Endless Spotlight
Grave Levity
Karma Payment Plan
lacey joe loves you
Pizza Thoughts scratchymonkey
Skull Bolt
Vitriolic Spree
 
  • Commenting and Templature
  • Aye, There's the Rub
  • Chillin' like a Cripple
  • By the Ankle into the Styx
  • Storm's abrewin'
  • sex vs. violence! a sleazy battle to the death!
  • . . . .
  • . . .
  • poetry and bragging
  • Yeah, that's right. I own a Prius.
  •      

    Archives:

    November 2002
    December 2002
    January 2003
    February 2003
    March 2003
    April 2003
    June 2003
    July 2003
    August 2003
    September 2003
    October 2003
    November 2003
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005



     
    Michel D   Welcome to Fucking LiveBlogger

    10.5.04 -  15:55

     
    Okay, so although I was initially impressed with the Blogger Relaunch stuff, I have come to realize that Blogger has taken everything I hate about LiveJournal and DiaryLand and included them into the code.

    Comments
  • One must travel through an off-blog page to post comments -- A DiaryLand Peeve
  • If you're not a member of Blogger, you can *ONLY* post anonymously -- A LiveJournal Peeve
  • I don't even have control over comments... I can't completely delete them
  • Despite the fact that my page is hosted off-site, my comments aren't.
  • Instead of a clean and neat pop-up box, I get to see the entire page reloaded


  • The Dashboard
  • Looks cool, but takes twice as long to load on Dial-Up


  • Profiles
  • An autobiographical About page? What is this? LiveJournal? jesus...


  • Post Page Archiving
  • So now each post is permalinked to its OWN page? Sounds great if you host on Blog*Spot, but I pay for my bandwidth.


  • If I sound bitter about LiveJournal, it's nothing personal against people who use it. Back two+ years ago when I thought it would be interesting to start a blog LiveJournal wasn't free like it is today... well, no, it was semi-free. You could either pay for it or receive a free code from someone who paid for it. The few people I knew on LiveJournal had already given their codes away. So I went out on a search for a service that was FREE. And lo and behold, I found Blogger. Now, two+ years later, LiveJournal has gone free... which is fine, but the fact that Blogger is apparently attempting to be more like LiveJournal in appearance and function sort of irks me.


    I think I've figured out a solution for the comment problem however. If I place the Haloscan script inside the new Blogger
    <BlogItemCommentsEnabled>
    </BlogItemCommentsEnabled>
    code than I should be able to use my HaloScan Comments (and not have to delete or hand-transfer any comments) and control whether or not the Comments are shown. The best of both worlds.

    Chicks with dicks that put mine to shame.


    Update: I tried this out, and it works but not really... I'll have to wait until only posts from May Ninth and onward are on the Index Page. But then again, I get into the problem I'd mentioned earlier, anything that requires a Blog-Wide republish will change that. I can only hope that Blogger finds a fix for it... they are aware that there's a problem:
    Comments aren't enabled for older posts (prior to when you turned on comments), and there (unfortunately) isn't an automated way to do this.
    yet... hopefully.
     

     - 










    Copyright © 2002-2004 the.monkey.manifesto, Michel Devon.
    Unless noted otherwise.