Blog Trip  
         
       
       
     
       
Blogroll Me
  Travelogued   Atom Enabled
         
  Armchair Pundit
cellojenn
Endless Spotlight
Grave Levity
Karma Payment Plan
lacey joe loves you
Pizza Thoughts scratchymonkey
Skull Bolt
Vitriolic Spree
 
  • television
  • ads
  • the best minds of my generation
  • Blogathon
  • Template
  • this space
  • Meth
  • quiet chorus
  • ez-D
  • lost connections
  •      

    Archives:

    November 2002
    December 2002
    January 2003
    February 2003
    March 2003
    April 2003
    June 2003
    July 2003
    August 2003
    September 2003
    October 2003
    November 2003
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005



     
    Michel D   philosophy

    26.7.03 -  17:59

     
    My sister told me once that you'll either "get" philosophy (i.e. understand), or you never will. What she meant was that when you read some particular philosophy, it will either click right away, or it will never click at all regardless of how long you study it. I've thought about this a lot since we talked about it, and I'm not so sure that I agree. There are some philosophies that are easy to state: the world is round, the earth revolves around the sun. These may not be easy to fathom for someone, but they are not difficult to express. Some philosophies are not easy to state: Derrida's Of Grammatology. (I use this as an example because this is what I was reading when we had this conversation). Yes it is true that the first two examples are resolved by science, but when they were first introduced, they were philosophy-based. Philosophy based on observation of physical actions but philosophy nonetheless. When the Greeks first introduced the idea that the earth was indeed round, many disagreed. In fact to such a point that the idea was squelched, globally, for a long time (read: thousands of years). In fact some people still refuse to believe that the earth is round.

    uh...

    I'm not sure where I was going with this... I probably should have either:
    A.) Written it down when it occured to me, or
    B.) Finished the post on the same day that I started it.
    What I've written still makes sense to me, I'm just not sure where it was going. Maybe it was just so I could say, "Hahaha. The Flat Earth Society. Whatta buncha dummies."

    How terribly anti-climactic...

    Posts such as this probably reinforce to someone that I'm not very good at relationships...
     

     - 










    Copyright © 2002-2004 the.monkey.manifesto, Michel Devon.
    Unless noted otherwise.