Blog Trip  
         
       
       
     
       
Blogroll Me
  Travelogued   Atom Enabled
         
  Armchair Pundit
cellojenn
Endless Spotlight
Grave Levity
Karma Payment Plan
lacey joe loves you
Pizza Thoughts scratchymonkey
Skull Bolt
Vitriolic Spree
 
  • philosophy
  • television
  • ads
  • the best minds of my generation
  • Blogathon
  • Template
  • this space
  • Meth
  • quiet chorus
  • ez-D
  •      

    Archives:

    November 2002
    December 2002
    January 2003
    February 2003
    March 2003
    April 2003
    June 2003
    July 2003
    August 2003
    September 2003
    October 2003
    November 2003
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005



     
    Michel D   Blaxpo

    27.7.03 -  22:46

     
    Ah, the Dallas Black Expo. However I think that name is too long, and there was this sign up that I stared at all day that had the word "Black" over the word "Expo" and I came to the conclusion, based on the placement of the two words, that the name should have been the Dallas Blaxpo or even just The Blaxpo. There's nothing quite like voluntarily attending an Expo where you are the minority. But seriously, it was a lot of fun.

    Highlights of the day

    The Bar-Kays!
    These guys were so funkadelic. They were great. They lit up the audience and put on a great show. I kept wishing that they'd had a better stage or performance area. I was really impressed. If you had seen me, I wouldn't have looked impressed, but I was trying to remain professional looking since I was working. But if I hadn't been working, I would have gone up and shown all of those people that, not only can a white guy dance, but he's got lots of funk! Enough to fill ten buckets! I could fill two buckets right now with all of the funk I got, and I'm listening to Verdi's MacBeth. Opera! and I'm still funk-a-licious!

    The Reverend Al Sharpton
    Everything he said was biting, insightful, and topical... four months ago. I got the feeling that he hadn't written a speech for the DBE. That he had just pulled one out of a file cabinet, given it a cursory glance, and said, "That'll do." The day was so long, I already don't remember what he said exactly. I would've taken notes during the speech, but then he might have singled me out as a White Devil Spy who was taking notes for the enemy camp.

    Studio 5012 Hair & Fashion Show: Old School VS New School
    What in the hell just happened? I'm not sure. Some emcee was yelling at the crowd. He was four feet away from me, and I still have no idea what he said. A bunch of people came on stage and got their hair fixed by a bunch of stylists that also came on stage. I shit you not, we really sat around collectively for twenty minutes watching people get their hair styled while some guy screamed unintelligibly. Then a lot of models came out wearing ugly clothes. Actually the clothes weren't that bad, but the fabric choices were. And before you say, "Excuse me straight white boy. First you think you got funk and now you're talking about how bad the fashion was? What in the hell do you know about fashion? May I point out the fact that not only are you straight and white but you are also a boy." Well, I'm pursuing an MFA in Costume Design currently. In fact, I'm starting my second year of a three year Grad School program. Yes, I know good looking clothes, and good looking clothes these were not.

    A bunch of other people
    The day was peppered with amateur singers and comedians, and you know what is true about all amateurs? They're not professionals for a reason. Man, these people were terrible. Actually, I wouldn't know, because they all held the mic too close to their mouth for me to understand what they were singing or saying. However, there was this a cappella group, The Soul Influence, who was very good. I'm not big on Christian-themed music, but they had a nice polished sound. I wanted them to break into Where in the World (is Carmen San Diego)? Although they probably would have sung Where in Your Heart is Jesus ('Cause He's Awesome)

    Ripping my thumb open on a ladder
    This wasn't a scheduled event, but it was really entertaining for everyone involved. Except me.
     

     - 










    Copyright © 2002-2004 the.monkey.manifesto, Michel Devon.
    Unless noted otherwise.