Blog Trip  
         
       
       
     
       
Blogroll Me
  Travelogued   Atom Enabled
         
  Armchair Pundit
cellojenn
Endless Spotlight
Grave Levity
Karma Payment Plan
lacey joe loves you
Pizza Thoughts scratchymonkey
Skull Bolt
Vitriolic Spree
 
  • Betrayed... kind of
  • Street Legal
  • W.W.J.D?
  • Melancholic Antacid
  • Addendum
  • Is this a suggestion?
  • Dealing with it
  • Ramifications: Considered
  • Nothing human is foreign to me.
  • Subtext
  •      

    Archives:

    November 2002
    December 2002
    January 2003
    February 2003
    March 2003
    April 2003
    June 2003
    July 2003
    August 2003
    September 2003
    October 2003
    November 2003
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
    April 2005
    May 2005
    June 2005
    July 2005
    August 2005
    September 2005
    October 2005
    November 2005



     
    Michel D   Self-Inflicted Danger

    17.11.02 -  11:55

     
    Have you ever wanted to do something that you knew was not good, even dangerous, to you? Something that you've been told will seriously harm you?

    Last night, I'm hanging out at the Manifesto Headquarters balcony, enjoying the cool breeze on my sick face. (yes, despite the Vitamin C and Echinacea, I'm sick... unfortunately.) So there I am, wishing my sinuses weren't filled with Quikrete, and I stare down at my truck parked below. My truck was diagnosed yesterday with a faulty starter, a worn valve, a radiator leak, and a broken clutch sleeve. A grand total of $803. I tell them, that the only necessity is the starter, which will only set me back $150, affordable. They tell me that they won't warranty the starter if I don't get the Valve fixed also, because the starter is broken because the valve is leaking oil into it. In 6 months, they say, the starter will be worn again... but by that time, it will be my dad's responsibility. I'm tired of this vehicle.

    Okay, so back to the dangerous-for-me part -- I'm looking down at this broken truck with it radiator leak. I can actually see the Antifreeze dripping onto the pavement, and my first thought is, "What does Antifreeze taste like?"

    Now, I've always heard it's very sweet, but very poisonous, which is why when you spill it on the ground you have to pour a lot of water on it, so that it won't be so sweet and so doggies won't drink it and die.

    But even with all of this knowledge, I still want to know what it tastes like. When you tell someone that something is very sweetly yummy, but also very badly deadly, there seems to be a conflict of interest. Now my curiousity is piqued. Why did you tell me this was super sweet yummy? Why not just relate the deadly poisonous part and leave it at that. You can say that the reason dogs drink it, is because they're stupid, not because it tastes good.

    So I guess my question is, how much Antifreeze can I taste without getting sick? A tiny taste? Just lick the lid? Perhaps I should consult the back of the bottle first and prepare the first aid before I try... whether that means I have a glass of milk waiting for me, or my finger, or 911 on speed dial.

    Of course there's always the smart path, and don't do this very stupid thing... but isn't life just a string of experiences? Why should I deny myself this experience?

    I will think on it more... (although ultimately I probably won't do it.)
     

     - 










    Copyright © 2002-2004 the.monkey.manifesto, Michel Devon.
    Unless noted otherwise.